PAUSE and take time to find a private spot, so that you can talk openly with the person you picked.
- Connect with them by asking if you can tell them how you are feeling, or about something that is bothering you.
- If you find it hard to get started, you can write something down and give it to them.
- You could even put pictures or stickers on a piece of paper to get started.
- Try to give examples of what’s bothering you – so that they really understand.
- Tell the story through someone else - such as pretending your “friend” has this problem. Sometimes this helps get the words out, and you can still get suggestions on what to do about it.
- Try to tell the person about what you are feeling when a certain thing happens, or when the feelings come over you.
- Try to be honest, and give as much detail as you can.
RESET by thinking about what you shared, and if the person you shared with had any ideas for you to try. If so – do the ideas make sense to you? Are they something you can try?
Sharing feelings helps you not feel alone, and can help you find solutions to problems behind the feelings. And if you need more help, often another person can make that happen too.